Invasive Plants in Uncertain Times: Achieving More with Less
Presented by the Connecticut Invasive Plant Working Group (CIPWG)
Thursday, October 4, 2018
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Student Union, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
This 9th biennial conference features national, regional, and local experts as well as citizen volunteers sharing practical solutions for invasive plant management and actions needed to promote native species and improve wildlife habitat. The symposium is open to the public and will include introductory information about invasive plants. People with all levels of interest and experience are invited to attend.
Keynote speaker Judy Preston, Long Island Sound Outreach Coordinator with the Connecticut Sea Grant, will present, “Raising the Bar on Sustainability: Restoration for Property Owners and Maximizing Plant Functionality.”
Concurrent afternoon sessions will include:
- Introduction to Invasive Plant Management – Panel discussion with various experts
- The Nursery Industry and Non-Invasive Alternatives – Panel discussion on the role of nurseries
- Early Detection and Invasive Plant Risk Assessment – How to address newly introduced plants
- Advanced Invasive Plant Management – Cost/benefit analysis of management options
- Innovative Invasive Plant Technologies – New technologies to report and learn about invasives
- Native Alternatives and Pollinators – Planning your native plant garden
Research and management posters, an invasive plant identification area, and other educational exhibits will be featured throughout the day. The registration fee includes parking and lunch.
Pesticide Recertification Credits and other Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) will be available.
Attendees are advised to register early, as the last symposium had record attendance and sold out in advance with 500 attendees.
REGISTRATION FEE: $55 – EARLY postmarked or online by August 23; $65 – REGULAR postmarked or online after August 23; $25 – STUDENT (must bring current ID)
The symposium agenda, online registration, and mail-in registration form are available at https://cipwg.uconn.edu/2018-symposium/.
For additional information, please contact Donna Ellis at 860-486-6448; email@example.com.